Upgrading to 3.2 from 3.1

Brady, Mike mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Wed Aug 13 06:27:40 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-13 09:42, Daniel Hoffend wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
>> I had the same experience. The issues seemed to be related to the
>> upgrade of Cyrus IMAP from 2.4 to the Kolab only 2.5. Every folder
>> access seemed to trigger a Cyrus index rebuild which impacted
>> performance so much that Roundcube continuously timed out and was
>> unusable, and this was on my personal server with one user on it. Any
>> thought of doing a production system was pointless. I had to revert
>> back to 3.1 and have been running it ever since.
> I think I had similar issues when I tried to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 a
> half year ago and reverted back to Kolab 3.1. I know that Jereon is
> also working on Cyrus (http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/) but the
> official cyrus project page states that cyrus imapd 2.4 is the current
> stable version. That's where I start to wonder why or if I should
> upgrade to Cyrus 2.5 when 2.4 just runs fine.
>
> Maybe it's just our impatience and the io power needed to convert all
> those spool folders and re-index them where it's needed and when they
> getting accessed or it's just the strange feeling using a
> non-production labeled cyrus version for our (community and personal
> production) mail servers.
>
>> I was going to try a 3.1 to 3.3 upgrade sometime in the next few weeks
>> to see if it was any better. If it isn't I am probably going to be
>> forced to look at other products, which would be very disappointing.
> I'm currently looking into upgrading to 3.3 (from 3.1) as well. Right
> now I’m doing test installations, test features and report or fix
> package bugs. As soon as I'm happy with the general installation I’m
> likely cloning my mail system and it's storage and trying an upgrade.
> But I haven't yet decided if I should stay with the cyrus 2.4 provided
> by Kolab 3.1 (the kolab xml format and other stuff hasn't changed so I
> don't see an issue) or jump on the train and upgrade to Cyrus 2.5.
>
> I know that Cyrus 2.5 might offer various improvements Jereon listed
> in his 3.2 announce mail
> (http://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/announce/2014/000133.html) but still
> ... just my 2 cents.
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel

While some caution is not unwarrented I don't have a problem with there
being a Kolab only version of Cyrus-IMAP.  I read somewhere that the
changes have been accepted upstream so we should see them in a Cyrus
release eventually.

What did (and still does) give me cause to pause on this was that I (and
others) asked for documentation/migration notes for the Cyrus 2.4 to 2.5
upgrade on both this and the Devel list and got no response.  Given that
the packages are a Kolab only version there wasn't anywhere else that
this information could have come from really.

Last time I tried an upgrade I was pushed for time and did not dig into
cause of the issues that I experienced.  There were certainly other
issues with the default the Kolab configuration at the time, that have
since been resolved, that would have compounded the symptoms that I
observed.  Armed with Torsten's suggestion of using the script that
traverses all the folders as part of the upgrade process, I will give a
3.1 to 3.2 upgrade another go.  My personal server is a KVM guest guest
so it is easy to take a copy and roll back if necessary.

Regards

Mike