Define catch-all email address

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Oct 23 11:01:00 CEST 2013

Timotheus Pokorra <timotheus at pokorra.de> writes:

> But in case the customer wants it, how would I configure it? I can see
> on the mykolab FAQ (https://mykolab.com/faq#catch-all) that it must be
> possible, but I have no idea where to configure this, even manually?

You can configure it manually by creating a 'virtual' file and pointing
postfix to it, e.g. by adding hash:/etc/postfix/virtual to
virtual_alias_maps, and putting a line like this into it:

@example.org catchall at example.org

and running `postmap /etc/postfix/virtual` on it.

That should turn catchall at example.org into a catchall address for
example.org. The catchall address doesn't have to be in the domain, of
course; and I do believe the full address is looked up first, so it will
not take precedence.

Presumably, the static file could be replaced with some sort of
automatic lookup based on one of postfix's normal mechanisms for this,
but haven't tried it...

-Toke