Differing IMAP/Roundcube identification capabilities

Henning H henne.gwath at gmx.de
Wed May 15 09:40:54 CEST 2013

Hi,

the authentication with imap/pop3/smtp (means: cyrus and postfix) is
handled by saslauthd, which binds to you ldap-server and uses the
credentials you gave to cyrus/postfix to identify whether you're allowed
to log in or not. saslauthd (means: 389-ds) reports back a match of the
password with your login-key (uid or email) or not to the service
(cyrus/postfix).

In it's configuration file (mine is located at /etc/saslauthd.conf)
there is an ldap-filter which is used for this purpose. If you notice
you can't use your secondary e-mail address it is most probably not
mentioned in this filter.

Just add something like "(|(...)(...)(alias=*))". But to be honest I'm
pretty sure that this gets properly configured by kolab.

You see: all this is pretty general. You can use either service for
imap/postfix/ldap/http you want. Kolab is the thing that connect's the
strings. Really mighty :) Ok, I hope I described everything above
correctly and it fits to your needs.

have a nice time,
Henning

PS: should we rename this thread?