[Kolab 3] Installation on ubuntu server

Paul Klos paul at klos2day.nl
Mon Mar 25 17:12:04 CET 2013

Torsten Grote schreef op 25-03-2013 11:57:
> On Monday 25 March 2013 11:49:09 Henne Holly wrote:
>> Got it. You have to use the ubuntu quantal-repository to install
>> 389-ds
>> LDAP-services (because of some very recent dependencies like perl)
>> and
>> the kolabsys-wheezy repository for kolab3 packages.
> Great! Please continue to report about your progress! :)
>
>> Note: Setup throws python exceptions like 'No such object', 'Already
>> exists'
>> if you perform setup-kolab more than once.
> setup-kolab does not support multiple runs. It would be great if it
> did, but
> nobody has done that yet.

The necessary cleanup to do before re-running the setup-kolab script
consists of removing some directories and (maybe) dropping the kolab and
roundcube databases. It shouldn't be too hard to change the various
setup components to detect if configuration has already happened before,
and, if so, do some cleanup before performing the setup.

There are also modifications that should be made to an operational
system without having to start over completely. For example, recently,
there was a new upstream version of kolab-syncroton, which included a
few database changes. I've changed kolab-syncroton to use
dbconfig-common, so these database modifications can be handled
automatically.

Now, some further thoughts...

There's also debconf, that allows a package to ask for various setup
information, and use that in configuring the package. If that can be
made to work, you could run dpkg-reconfigure on a package to start over.

I'm not sure if it's feasible to completely replace setup-kolab, but I
like the modularity of the debconf approach, so it's something I'm
looking into.

Cheers,

Paul