Fwd: Re: Stable Kontact client for Kolab3

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Mar 20 17:44:15 CET 2013

On 13-03-20 08:03 AM, JCollet wrote:
> Hi Geoff, Just like the member from Australia, I must disagree with
> your basis for this argument. I'm not doubting your qualifications but
> I do call into question your knowledge of Outlook. I do manage 1000s
> Outlook accounts and was forced to become proficient in it. The facts
> aren't unfortunately how our customers want to use Outlook but how it
> was designed and what its native limitations are:
> - It's not an OST or PST issue, the OST file has to get really big
> before the OST can't properly handle its own large OST file which is
> the same for the PST file.
> -Most importantly, it's dictated by whether  you're using 32 bit or 64
> bit. According to MS, 32 bit can only handle up to 2GB, that's the
> limit for 32 bit address space.  64 bit is way bigger than 2 GB (into
> the TBs). I must deduce that you're using 32 bit. I have users with
> 25GB using Bynari connector, with 64 bit and no complaints there.
> I hope this helps you with your 5GB customers.
> John

Hi John.

That is interesting, I didn't realize there were differences in the 32
vs. 64 bit in regards to PST file size.  Do you have a link for that?

When I was talking with Bynari support they suggested a practical limit
of 5GB.

But in my past experience, I agreed with the other member where 1-2GB is
the "safe" zone.

Your experience of 25GB is pretty impressive.  I am not sure though if
64bit is going to be an option for this client, because of other
software compatibility.

thanks,

Geoff