dovecot as alternative

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Sun Jun 2 21:38:59 CEST 2013

On Sunday 02 June 2013 17:33:37 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 2013-05-31 07:36, Klos, Paul wrote:
> > So it gets a little bit more complex. I'm thinking we could have kolab
> > depend on an imap server (either cyrus, which would be the default, or
> > dovecot, or anything else).
>
> Please don't do that - on a clean system, "yum install kolab" or
> "aptitude install kolab" should continue to install cyrus-imapd, as it
> is properly supported.

Totally agree. I don't want to broke kolab :)

> One could make the "kolab-imap" sub-package depend on cyrus-imapd ||
> dovecot, but the preference is Cyrus IMAP. It should really only have a
> satisfied dependency if and when dovecot has been installed prior to the
> installation of Kolab.
>
> Also, the dovecot package that gets installed should already provide the
> METADATA plugin for it. I'm not sure whether on Debian it does, but IIRC
> upstream dovecot 2.1+ should be shipping it. It could be though, that a
> ./configure switch is not included in the Debian packages.
>
> Also, Kolab is untested with Dovecot - the Kolab daemon, for instance,
> has a habit of attempting to create user mailboxes (and default folders
> when configured), for which it uses an administrator login. Dovecot,
> AFAIK, does not have the concept of an administrator login (but does
> have "login as" functionality). I'm not sure how Kolab is supposed to
> behave in this context;

There are lot of differences.
But will be good if we can play with  for testing purposes.

What I want in fact is to allow me to install dovecot after I installed kolab.
I could simply stop cyrus (disable it) and start dovecot.

I will be on my own after, for sure.

> - when/how does Dovecot understand that a valid login is (or is not)
> necessarily a valid mailbox, and if it creates the mailbox for the user
> on successful login, does this go for administrator "login as" as well?
>
> - one of the features of Dovecot being the (application of) filesystem
> quota for a user (the mailbox could count towards it), in the su-type of
> unsealed system, does it need to have the mail directory created prior
> to finding the mailbox is a valid mailbox? Would this not include the
> requirement to all Kolab users to be POSIX accounts?

> - Would the Kolab daemon not need to ignore the LDAP 'mailQuota'
> attribute unless the mailbox resides on a different filesystem from the
> one a home directory is on, and instead use the filesystem quota (not
> 'mailQuota', if at all from LDAP), or use 'mailQuota' to set file system
> quota?
>
> I'm willing to entertain a "--with-imap=dovecot" switch to setup-kolab
> (note I've already added a --without-ldap, a --with-openldap, and a
> --with-ad), but these things need to be figured out if Kolab is ever to
> fully support Dovecot.

At the momment I think nobody talk about supporting dovecot, but about the
possibility to play with and see .
Dovecot is popular and there are chances to have more features in the future.
I'm interested if basic features are working well, after that we can focus on
details.

> When taking in to consideration how much time I have available to
> actively contribute towards full Dovecot support, I'm afraid I have to
> conclude that, unless Kolab Systems gets involved commercially, those
> that wish to run with Dovecot are largely on their own.
Well... that's the ideea.
I first want to test on my test server, after that possibly at a small company
with 5 users and a single domains... and so on. That's why I (we) need a point
to start.

I tested on Slackware, but that's not really a kolab server, there are
manually assembled parts :)

--
Mihai Badici
http://mihai.badici.ro