Tasks folder disappeared

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Fri Jan 18 22:07:29 CET 2013

Hi,

For my own use I have Kontact 4.9.97 talking to a plain dovecot 2.1.7 server.
(It doesn't have any of the meta-data or ACL components installed). I also had
some kolab v1 files in the folder (which I removed while trying to fix this
problem).

I'm not sure if this list is responsible for the kde kolab client component,
but I'll share the bug here first.

For a bit it was working, akonadi had created 5 folders, 3 of which showed up
in the korganizer part. Calendar, Journal, Tasks. I had a video display
problem which caused me to stop the X server to try and recover.

After getting X up and working again, the Tasks folder had disappeared. I
tried several increasingly severe things to recover.

At first I tried to recreate the folder from the "My Data" folder tree in the
bottom part of korganizer. However none of my test tasks showed up. After
remembering akonadiconsole I saw that the attributes & internals tabs for the
tasks folder properties were blank.

I tried manually assigning the mime/type on the internals page, but wasn't
sure what to set on the attributes tab so it didn't work.

I then tried removing & re-adding the kolab component through the system
settings > personal information component. (Eventually trying "Create/Repair
folders"). That didn't work either.

What I finally did was remove the kolab component and stopped akonadi with
akonadictl stop. Then I logged into the IMAP server with mutt, and copied the
tasks to a different folder. Next I sshed into the server and deleted
INBOX.Tasks. I started akonadi, added the kolab component, and told it to
create/repair the folders. Then I stopped akonadi again, and moved the task
messages back into the folder. Finally I restarted all of the akonadi
components and everything seemed to be working again.

(I'm not sure If I needed to have akonadi stopped when I was modifying things
by hand on the IMAP server, but it seemed like a good idea)

It'd be nice for there to be a way to back up the folder properties, or force
assigning the folder attributes (e.g. ENTITTYDISPLAY, uidnext... and content
types) from some KDE component. (akonadiconsole or korganizer.)

Diane