Newer than Wheezy Korganizer?

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Tue Jan 15 15:44:50 CET 2013

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 01:57:33 PM Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 2013-01-03 14:19, Mihai Badici wrote:
> > At the moment those packages are rather
> > unknown and rather betas,
>
> I'm afraid that's simply not true. We actively ship and support
> libkolab and libkolabxml for one of those other distributions frequently
> used on a workstation, and all we would need in order to include those
> packages in Debian itself (and therefore Ubuntu as well, but they have
> versions of these packages already) is somebody that is willing and able
> to go through the sponsorship process and become a Debian developer /
> package maintainer.

> > so the sane option will be not to include them in
> > the distribution package.

Sorry if you fill offended, whasn't my intention.
It's not about libkolab and libkolabxml, it's about the way those packages are
integrated in Akonadi.

When a package maintainer will start compiling kdepim-runtime, will notice "
there are no libkolab installed, kolab support will be disabled".

I think there are 90% chances to ignore this message and continue :) except he
is a big kolab fan.

It's not realy a problem to compile libkolabxml, but usually I will prefer to
use stock kde. And it's not about me, I think it will be better for regular
users if kolab support will be included in stock kde.
But if somebody want to include kolab support, he must accept also two new
packages in the main distribution. This is often a decision  must be taken at
supperior level.

If kolab support is not in stock kde, there is just another package to
maintain - kdepim-runtime ( by who?).

I'm sure it's technically feasable to include some kolab headers in main
kdapim-runtime just to allow to compile with kolab support but whithout need
to have libkolab installed.

--
Mihai Badici
http://mihai.badici.ro