Newer than Wheezy Korganizer?

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Thu Jan 3 15:19:48 CET 2013

On Thursday, January 03, 2013 01:35:05 PM Torsten Grote wrote:
> Hi Diane,
>
> thanks for your interest in Kolab.
>
> On Monday 31 December 2012 10:47:29 Diane Trout wrote:
> > I noticed that you're packaging Kolab 3.0 for wheezy, but the korganizer
> > packages are pretty old.
>
> We are packaging the Kolab _server_ for wheezy, but not the client.
>
> > Is there a newer repository for the clent for wheezy somewhere, are people
> > running kubuntu, or are people just building from source?
>
> I'm running Debian myself, but since the packages are so old and the
> situation doesn't seem to be improving, I switched to building from source.

I think it's a problem which must be analyzed.
In kolab 3.0 we need libkolab and libkolabxml to make kontact to work.
Which means If a packager want to provide kolab support as an option will need
to add those packages as dependencies. At the moment those packages are rather
unknown and rather betas, so the sane option will be not to include them in
the distribution package.
I compiled myself akonadi for slackware ( it works) but I was assured kolab
will not be accepted in the distribution sun or maybe never :) and I cannot
blame slackware for that; it is not normal to be forced to install kolab
packages to make akonadi work.
I think it's the same in Debian.
So maybe we must find a way for packagers to compile akonadi with kolab
support but without those dependencies to be required for users not using
kolab. Should be a way to check the presence of kolab libraries  and enable
kolab only if there are present.

Mihai Badici
http://mihai.badici.ro