Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

אנטולי קרסנר tombackton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:30:09 CET 2013

Sorry, I missed that list...

Two options are being examined:

1. Start a new server (I'll need your help here because I never worked
with servers)

2. Use the MyKolab service. It saves all the hard work, but it's still
in beta stage and it's going to cost money to use it. So I'm trying to
get funding so that a basic mailbox service is available for no cost
(unless you donate to the funds supplier, which would be very nice)

Persoanlly, I don't have time, knowledge or money (I'm a university
student) to setup and maintain a mail server, so if it depends on me -
it would take a few years at least... so I rely on MyKolab.

Other mail services exist (e.g. gandi.net uses RoundCube), proving a
practical usable solution exists.

If anyone wants to start a new service independent of any company like
Kolab Systems - you're welcome. I'll help you with pleasure if there's
anything I can do. Just contact me by e-mail :-)

SUMMARY OF CURRENT STATUS: waiting to see if we can get funding /
waiting to see if someone can and wants to start a server

NOTE: Starting a server doesn't mean you pay everything by yourself: A
proof of a working service beta is enough to show people and get
funding. Many open-source and free-software support organizations exist,
which are non-profit and work using donations. A Free (libre) mail
server is the perfect project for them to invest in (i.e. fund).

I'll update when more news/responses arrive.

- Anatoly Krasner