Public free (libre) mailbox hosting service for everybody!

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Thu Feb 28 00:39:15 CET 2013

The operational cost is non-zero. Besides hardware, which must include
backups, and enough physical diversity to offer availability, an email
server is an attractive nuisance; spammers and other criminals constantly
attempt sabotage and burglary, and it takes ongoing manpower to attempt to
hold them temporarily at bay.

And unless you put hard caps on message sizes, people will use their
mailboxes as backup drives, or just email their vacation movies to family,
and you'll be buying drives, and hence replacing them, often.

I love the idea, I'm fond of running mailservers myself. But I've gone
Google.

As for software, I won't pitch my favorite components to this wide list,
but I know how to find all the pieces I'd need except the webmail front-end
for the utterly non-technical.

If you limited the scope to IMAP and SMTP, both SSL authenticated, it
wouldn't be too hard to spec out.

Host on AWS EC3 or the like, then find an affordable solution to spam, and
you can sell to anyone who doesn't expect their email to be private from
governments.

Anybody know of a well-engineered and maintained SSL library?