Kolab 3 SMTP error: Sender access denied

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:23:04 CET 2013

On 4/12/2013 10:28 pm, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Andrew Leech <coronasensei at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Every time I try to send an email I get the error:
>> An (SMTP) error occurred while sending mail. The server responded: 5.7.1 <DATA>:
>> Data command rejected: Sender access denied.
> The submission policy service enforces a policy that means that users
> can only send email with a registered email address. So that error shows
> up if you set your From mail address in your MUA to something other than
> the mail address you have registered in Kolab.
>
> You can either disable this policy (as you have done), meaning that
> users can send mail as any sender. Or, if you like such a policy to be
> enforced, you can add additional sender addresses to each user. That is
> what the "External email addresses" field is for in the kolab webadmin.
> (The difference between "secondary mail addresses" and "external mail
> addresses" is that the secondary ones are also setup as aliases to
> receive mail on, whereas the external ones are just used in the policy
> checker).
>
> At least the above is my understanding of how the mechanism works. :)
>
> -Toke
Hi Toke,
It's true I'm using a different email as my from address to the full one
in kolab as I migrated from an existing email of andrew@ wheras kolab by
default is andrew.leech@
However sending as the full email doesn't work either, nor in roundcube
(where it was already using the full one by default)

I also tried putting my andrew@ address in "Sender Access List" in
kolab-webadmin / User / Configuration but that hasn't helped, nor in "
Recipient(s) Access List". The labeling would suggest the sender access
list is the correct place to put it, so maybe I've got a bug in my
system somewhere.

I guess the security risk of me sending as anyone isn't that bad, at
this stage I'm only hosting for myself. I run the risk of forgetting
I've left this open though, which I'd rather not do. I'll keep
investigating.

Thanks,
Andrew