imapsync very poor performance

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Dec 3 14:23:41 CET 2013

Christian Hügel <christian.huegel at stonebyte.de> writes:

> In case last access time is useful information, you probably only
> need noatime on wherever the mailboxes are stored (/var?). Our Cyrus
> databases at work went from 2 hours to rebuild to about 2 minutes
> using that option.

How old a version of Linux are you running?

The 'relatime' behaviour, which only updates the atime once for each
file modification and, has been the default since Linux 2.6.30, and
should give most of the same benefits as noatime, but as the man page
said "doesn't break mutt or other applications that need to know if a
file has been read since the last time it was modified."

Anyway, using that might be an option if you do require some atime
information :)

-Toke