How to sync Kontact with Kolab3

Fenuks fenuksuh at ya.ru
Mon Apr 1 05:59:40 CEST 2013

Hello, Leonid.

Good that it's all working now for you. However, there's a couple bumps you might still
receive in the process of setting things up.

First, Kolab3 uses Kolab-format version 3, that is supported since Kontact 4.9. But still
kontact's set up to use kolab-format v2 by default. In 4.10 version can be changed
when you add Kolab resource in your System Settings - Personal Information,
otherwise you may not see contacts and events you've created through Roundcube in
your Kontact. After changing that setting, I can see all the records I've created in
Kontact in Roundcube and vice versa, but going back to setting it keeps telling me it's
using kolab-format v2…

Second, when setting up SMTP server, there's a button in Advanced "Auto detect",
for some reason it does not work right for submission port 587 (at least on Gentoo and
Debian 7) — detecting that "Server does not support authentication" and greying out
all auth settings. So, you'll need to set it all up manually: port 587, TLS, Plain
authentication.

Third, when creating records keep in mind, that they're stored in IMAP folders and
take some time to sync. If you change a record before it's fully synced, you may get
conflict and will see a dialog asking which version to keep: local, remote or both. This
might create a little chaos in your records.

Regards,
Alexej