Installing Kolab on a system with 1GB and no swap

Christian Tardif christian.tardif at servinfo.ca
Tue Sep 25 04:59:41 CEST 2012

My two cents, here (it won't solve your Kolab problem, though). NEVER
run a Linux system without any swap enabled. This is part of a normal
Linux system, and actually part of any modern operating system. The SWAP
is used for many things, and for temporary lack of memory, where the
system will flush unused RAM at that particular moment on the SWAP file
or SWAP partition to release, temporarily, the RAM for other tasks.
Even if SWAP doesn't replace RAM, SWAP is needed on any modern system.

Add SWAP, and you'll free yourself from some common problems.

Christian Tardif