Installation manual: some remarks

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Nov 1 13:33:49 CET 2012

On 2012-10-31 21:04, Jochen Hein wrote:
> The manual states:
>
> ,----
> | 5.1. Creating a User
> |
> | Create a first user, and verify the account is created successfully
> | using ldapsearch from a terminal.
> |
> | A mailbox should now also have been created. Examine the output of
> | /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d, or, alternatively, run kolab
> | list-mailboxes.
> `----
>
> First, it might be useful to tell the user that he should install
> ldap-utils (on Debian) for ldapsearch.
>
> Second, please give an example for the needed options, so the admin
> can
> be sure he uses the right options.  I used:

Good ideas.

> I'm not sure, if this is really a useful test.

If one runs into problems here, it surely indicative of the environment
not functioning the way it needs to, though.

> The further tests from the manual:
>
> ,----
> | root at jupiter:~# /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d
> | root at jupiter:~# kolab list-mailboxes
> | 2012-10-31 21:31:00,925 pykolab.imap WARNING Could not connect to
> Cyrus IMAP server 'imaps://localhost:993'
> | 2012-10-31 21:31:10,938 pykolab.imap WARNING Could not connect to
> Cyrus IMAP server 'imaps://localhost:993'
> | 2012-10-31 21:31:20,950 pykolab.imap WARNING Could not connect to
> Cyrus IMAP server 'imaps://localhost:993'
> `----
>
> So, there is some debugging to do.

The cyrus-imapd packages are not yet picture-perfect. It seems the init
script used deserves a little bit of attention, and we're working on
that.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--