evolution-kolab and android sync

Christian Hilberg hilberg at kernelconcepts.de
Thu May 3 12:06:50 CEST 2012

Hi Jeroen,

Am Donnerstag 03 Mai 2012, um 11:33:19 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems):
> On 2012-05-03 9:33, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> > Hi Jeroen,
> >

> Hi Christian,
>
> thank you for your feedback. You're referring to restarting
> evolution-data-server a couple of times, but -and pardon my ignorance-
> how does one restart the evolution-data-server?

Evolution-Data-Server is comprised of two processes, the so-called
factories. There is one for addressbooks and one for calendars,
namely evolution-addressbook-factory and evolution-calendar-factory.
The binaries for these both reside under $PREFIX/libexec.

> Up and until now, I've simply killed all processes with 'evolution'
> like so;
>
>    $ ps aux | grep [e]volution | awk '{print $2}' | xargs -n 1 kill -9
>
> I'm going to add a user on my workstation so I can nicely logout, pkill
> -u and rm -rf ~. That should definitely do the trick restarting from
> scratch, no?

That should do it, definitely.

> >> but I have trouble completely configuring my Kolab account.
> >>
> >> - Kolab Account list is empty,
> >
> > True. There is a new feature planned but not yet implemented which
> > will allow you to configure a mail account for a Kolab IMAP server and
> > re-use that data when configuring a calendar or address book. The re-use of
> > this > > data is not yet implemented, only the GUI widgets are there.
> >

> Is it reasonable to expect, if an existing Kolab account is configured
> with Evolution, the folders marked with folder-type event and contact
> are automatically made calendars and address books?

While it would technically be possible from evolution-kolab side, in Evolution
itself, the paradigm is to configure each calendar and addressbook individually.
Configuration is done via Evolution, and E-D-S uses that configuration data.
That is, we can present to the user all the folders matching a certain type,
from which he can select the one he wants to use (the input fields will be
filled with the selection then). The handling of configuration of PIM folders
and the internal use of the configuration data in Evolution is fundamentally
different from the one in Kontact, so I'm not sure whether it could be done
in a reasonable way. Moreover, our project resources are much limited - the
currently planned path should help the user much (folders will be autodetected
and presented), while it is doable with the resources we presently have. This
of course does not mean that the user experience cannot (or should not) be improved
further later on.

> >> - Kolab Server input field is set to my local fqdn,
> >
> > One bug to kill. This will be cleaned up (it is more an annoyance
> > than a bug, really, it is a leftover greeting from 2.30 era).
>
> Is there an issue tracker we can refer to for evolution-kolab?

Sure! Bugreports are very much welcome. Please see [0] for our issue
tracker.

Kind regards, and thanks for your interest in evolution-kolab,

	Christian

[0] http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=evolution-kolab

--
kernel concepts GmbH       Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48