Users are unable to create folders

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 19 10:12:56 CET 2012

On 2012-03-18 22:00, Christian Jantz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Kolab 2.3 and users aren't able to create folders above
> the
> INBOX folder using imap or any other protocol.
> Is it possible to change this to allow users to also add folders on
> the
> same level as INBOX?

Hi Christian,

it's either one, or the other.

Additional nesting of folders notwithstanding, either all folders not
the INBOX folder reside, hierarchically, under the INBOX folder, or all
folders not the INBOX folder reside hierarchically next to the INBOX
folder.

The configuration option that impacts whether or not this happens is
called 'altnamespace' in /etc/imapd.conf.

With altnamespace set to '1', a folder hierarchy would look as follows:

   INBOX/
   Calendar/
   Sent/

In this case, a user can create a folder 'Drafts/' for example, but not
a folder 'INBOX/Drafts/'.

With altnamespace set to '0' (the default), a folder hierarchy would
look as follows:

   INBOX/
   INBOX/Calendar/
   INBOX/Sent/

In this case, a user can create a folder 'INBOX/Drafts/' for example,
but not a folder 'Drafts/'.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen