Kolab2 KVM install - could not connect ldap server

Mark Berndt marko at mechtron.com.au
Tue Jun 19 13:58:42 CEST 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:40:39 PM fastumzug at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 21:27, Mark Berndt wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:25:21 PM fastumzug at fastmail.fm wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm about to install a Kolab2 server following the manual
> > > http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab2_Installation_KVM
> > > I run '# /kolab/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b' and got the error:
> > >
> > > Waiting for OpenLDAP to start
> > > could not connect ldap server ldap://127.0.0.1:389/ at
> > > /kolab/sbin/kolab_bootstrap line 525.
> > >
> > > Is this ok? Can I move on with the installation process or is this a
> > > serious issue?
> >
> > This is serious - your openldap server did not start.  Kolab will not
> > work.
>
> The issue here is that I started the kvm image without initializing a
> network bridge, because this was the first start of the image via:
>
> 'kvm -m 760 Kolab-Squeeze-i386.kvm'
>
> as described in the 'Downloading a KVM image' section of the
> installation manual. There is no 'reboot' mentioned in this section and
> it goes strait to:
>
> Finally configure the Kolab server:
> # /kolab/bin/openpkg rc all stop
> # /kolab/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b
>
> where '/kolab/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b' must fail, because the kvm image
> still running without network configuration.
>
> > This won't stop kolab running, but you can't send or receive external
> > mail
> > until you get the network bridge running.  Consult your operating system
> > documentation.
>
> My question would be now: Do I have to restart the kernel image with
>
> '# kvm Kolab-Squeeze-i386.kvm -net
> nic,macaddr=00:11:22:33:44:55,model=virtio -net tap -m 760'
>
> like written in section 'Booting up the Kolab server' before I step back
> to 'Downloading a KVM image' section and execute:
>
> Finally configure the Kolab server:
> # /kolab/bin/openpkg rc all stop
> # /kolab/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b
>
> I don't want to mess up the installation again, because I don't know
> what exactly I have to do. It'll be fine if someone would correct the
> manual at this point if there is something wrong.
>
> Kind ragards, tom

something is stopping slapd running.  You don't need a running a network to
run kolab_bootstrap -b.  Check your openldap config - you may have another
server running on 389, you may have another database type (flat, berkleydb)
partially configured.

Check your kvm doco, there are many options.  I moved from kvm to openVZ on
debian because I did not need the isolation kvm provides.

You can correct the manual via the wiki once you get it going.  The current
doco seems to get most people going, but as it is user written, it does assume
certain steps which may not be obvious to all.

Please reply to the list, so everyone can benefit from this exchange.

Cheers

Marko