Possible installation bug of Kolab 2.4 on Centos 6.2

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Jun 4 12:35:28 CEST 2012

On Friday, June 01, 2012 03:17:42 PM Michael Harnden wrote:
> Hi,
> Trying to test out 2.4 on a VirtualBox installation of Centos 6.2.
>
> I am having problems with the mysql portion of the setup. If I use a
> password with a # in it, the installation fails with the mysql error
> root at localhost denied. Yet I can log in via the command line using the
> password containing the #.
>
> If I don't use a #, the installation goes fine before the final starting of
> kolabd failing with a Permission denied: '/var/log/kolab/pykolab.log' error.
> Which I can fix by changing the permissions on the kolab folder

I can confirm rightout it's a bug.

The setup writes out a temporary defaults file for subsequent actions it needs
to take, such as creating the additional users and loading the schema. The '#'
character denotes the start of comments in such file, and hence the part that
is:

[mysql]
password=someything#rest

will ignore the '#rest' part of the password.

If you would please create a ticket in Bugzilla, I can have a look at fixing
this later this week.

Thanks, in advance,

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen