openpkg install has lost the ability to compile

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Sat Jan 7 23:45:45 CET 2012

While troubleshooting why I can't compile 2.3.4, I came across a curious
problem.  My kolab install seems to have forgotten how to compile:

root at sol:/kolab/RPM/TMP# /kolab/bin/gcc tmp.c
/kolab/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Anyone know what could have happened?  I reinstalled the gcc package, but I
obviously missed something while looking through the old RPM directory.
Clearly the openpkg install can't find its c libraries, but what do I need to
(re)install to fix it?

Thanks,
Troy Carpenter