Mail not displaying in DIMP, was Re: Problems with Horde Interface after upgrade from 2.2.4 to 2.3.2

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Mon Feb 20 23:25:19 CET 2012

Zitat von "Uwe Greßhake | dmmd GmbH & Co.KG" <u.gresshake at dmmd.de>:

> Am 28.06.2011 18:46, schrieb Christoph Wickert:
>> On Tuesday 14 June 2011 11:28:43 Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> These seem to have been the relevant messages:
>>>
>>> [13-Jun-2011 13:18:33] PHP Warning:  json_encode() [<a
>>> href='function.json-encode'>function.json-encode</a>]: Invalid UTF-8
>>> sequence in argument in /kolab/var/kolab/www/client/imp/lib/JSON.php on
>>> line 86
>> For the record: We are now tracking this issue at
>> https://issues.kolab.org/issue4743
>>
>> Thanks to everybody who helped us to debug this so far.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christoph
>>

> This problem still exist in my fresh kolab installation of stable
> release 2.3.4.
>
> Most mails are not displayed in dimp preview windows. Instead the error
> message
>    "Your server is unable to render UTF-8 message. The preview won't
> work. Please contact your administrator."
> is displayed. Not only the preview window is effected by this error:
> Folder names, which contain non ASCII letters, are not displayed in the
> folder list in dimp, if they belong to the functional folders on top of
> the list (sent, trash, etc.). Non ASCII characters in From and Subject
> lines of new mails are wrongly converted and then badly displayed in
> other mail-clients.
>
> In all cases the the horde json code is involved and the json_encode()
> error messages occur in the apache error log.
>
> I installed all necessary locales and restarted apache, but it does not
> solve the problem.
>
> Then I tried different client operating systems and different browsers
> and found out, that the error is independent of the client OS but it
> depends on the browser. So for me it seems to be a client server issue.
> I compared the browsers and the conversation between the browsers and
> the server and examined, that the error occurs, if the browser does not
> sent the "Accept-Charset"-Header. If the "Accept-Charset"-Header is
> missing in the browser request, some code in the json libs in horde seem
> to be irritated and suffers from an undefined state.
>
> My temporary workaround for affected firefox browsers is to install the
> "Modify Headers"-Add On from Gareth Hunt and manually add the missing
> header field.
> I hope my analyse is helpful to solve this problem on server side.

This sounds a bit like the recent issue introduced by the Firefox 10.
The attached patch might solve your problem.

This is part of the newest Horde 3 release from about a week ago. That
release also fixed a few XSS issues that should probably be ported to
the OpenPKG based Kolab server. Though I would consider those
insignificant as compared to the DOS PHP holes that still allow to
take down an OpenPKG based Kolab server via z-push.

Cheers,

Gunar