Problem upgrading kolab binary packages from Lenny to Squeeze

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Tue Nov 15 18:01:52 CET 2011

On Tuesday 15 November 2011 17:13:44 John McMonagle wrote:
> Sorry about re-posting but upon further research need to ask the question
> differently.

Hi John,

unfortunately the legibility of your mail does not increase by reposting it ;)
and I'm having a hard time to understand what is your text, what is a quote or
what was reposted. :(

> I found postings of others having the same issue in the past.
>
> Some give the same error but no resolution.
> This is a bit old but seems close to the issue.
> https://roundup.kolab.org/issue2898
> This error is different but it sounds similar as he was upgrading from
> Sarge to Etch.

Changing the platform is not supported. I don't know the numbers but there
should be several issues in the tracker explaining why it's not supported.

> He did this to get the upgrade to run:
> 	I had to modify the file "/kolab/etc/openpkg/platform". I changed the
> content from "ix86-any-debian3.1" to "ix86-any-debian4.0". Afterwards I
> was able to update OpenPKG and continue with the upgrade.

So what is the problem now? Still the same error as before?

> I need some sort of solution soon.

Please keep in mind that we do this kind of support basically for free in our
free time and cannot offer response times. If you need that because you are
running a critical infrastructure, please get in touch with us for a SLA.

> I can stay at lenny for now but at some point this needs to be dealt with
> it.

You don't need to stay at Lenny but continue to use the Lenny binaries.
However Lenny support will be phased out at some point, so if you are
installing a new server anyway, I suggest you do a fresh install with Squeeze
packages and then use rsync to transfer the relevant data (e.g. the mail
spool).

> From my previous port this is what I have done:

I have replied to your previous post in a different mail, just let me know
when anything is still unclear.

Regards,
Christoph

--