clamav compile problem - virtual memory exhausted

mbarisch at gmx.de mbarisch at gmx.de
Thu Mar 24 10:19:03 CET 2011

Hi,

i wanted to install kolab 2.2.4 into a virtual private server.
The server has 2GB of RAM. The installation/compile process works well until clamav gets compiled. Compilation stopped due to

"cc1plus: out of memory allocating 262144 bytes after a total of 2469888 bytes
virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory"

It seems as clamav compiles many files in parallel and needs therefore a lot of memory. I supposed that make was started with the -j switch. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any switch/flag to influence the behavior.

Setting the maximum memory/virtual memory per process with ulimit broughtno success.

Has anybody an idea how I could reduce the number of parallel compiler processes?

BR
Marc