Installing Kolab so exim4 don't must to uninstall?

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Mon Jul 18 09:47:26 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com> writes:
>
> > On Saturday 16 July 2011 16:50:09 Csanyi Pal wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> on my Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze operating system if I want to install
> >> kolabd debian package then exim4 must be uninstall first.
>
> > But it's not clear to me what exactly you are trying to achieve. I
> > mean, *why* do you want to keep another mta? Kolab uses a complex
> > postfix setup and runs 3 instances of postfix. Sure, you can replace
> > one or the other but you will will loose all the configuration kolab
> > does for you.
>
> Because I get used to use exim, that is why.

If you really want to use Kolab and are new to it, I would recommend
sticking as closely as possible to the standard install.  It may seem like
a pain to learn postfix, but I'd expect the pain of pulling postfix out and
shoe-horning exim in instead and then configuring it to work the same will
be similar.  Down the road, when you need help or support from the
community, you'll be running a system that's quite different to anyone
else's so you'll find it difficult to get help.

On balance, it probably makes more sense to remove exim from debian,
install something like ssmtp to keep APT happy that you have an MTA
installed and then install kolab which will bind to port 25.

> But now I'm trying to setup postfix first without have installed kolab,
> to get mailing work first.

I'm not sure this is a good idea either.  Kolab will install its own
version of postfix.  You'd probably be better off sticking to the kolab
versions.

Gavin