Horde show me no portal, kalender and adressbook

Nikolaus Klumpp nick at netdome.biz
Wed Jan 19 21:58:17 CET 2011

On 01/19/11 21:27, Skip Morse wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>>> I don't know if it's a related thing, but I had a similar issue with
>>> one of my users, but I would usually get an error and it wouldn't even
>>> get to the point of logging in (if I remember correctly).  This
>>> happened to be the user with the most items
>>> (emails/contacts/calendar), and shared items as well.  And... they had
>>> never logged in, so I was thinking that might have something to do
>>> with it....
>>>
>>> Anyway, increasing that memory restriction worked.  I haven't tried
>>> decreasing it again though since now it 'just works' again..
>>
>> Something similar happened to me last week. We migrated PST files to
>> Kolab, and one user had a particular large calendar folder (around 30 MB
>> - NB: Some of our users do have inboxes with >> 2000 messages and
>> several GB size).
>> After migration, each and every of his logins failed. It turned out that
>> the last folder read by the client was.. the Calendar folder. Then it
>> returned a blank page.
>>
>> I finally "fixed" the problem by revoking all rights to the calendar
>> folder via cyradm.
>>
>> -Nick

> Interesting, I'm actually interested in how you went about migrating
> the PST files, but that's a different email probably.  When you say
> that you revoked all rights and it 'fixed' it, did you at some point
> re-enable that folder for the user and have it continue to work?

Actually, the procedure was as follows:
  Outlook 2007. Install Toltec's connector.
  Open PST file. Rename all folders to be imported. "Calendar" ->
"IMPORT Calendar"
  Reset user's password. (We handed out individual "initial passwords"
with the last paycheck.)
  Connect PST file with Kolab mailbox
  Synchronize.
  Disconnect.
  Contact user: "Done. Please change your password soonish."

Our Kolab server is hosted off-site. PST files of six GB will take about
3,5 to 5 hours on an 10/10 Mbps line.

There will be residue messages - appointments and similar - which will
not be fully imported, but we're quite happy with Toltec's simplicity
and performance. Some of our users would like not to stop using Outlook.
If they persist :-), we will be buying some (more) licenses. Toltec's
done a good job and the connector's fair priced.

The user did not insist (yet) on his old calendar being re-enabled. He
argued: "Those are all things of the past" ;-) On the other hand, after
I read this thread, I guess I will tweak - again - PHPs memory
management and give it another shot. memory_limit was already at 64M.

-Nick