postfix message_reject_characters

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Thu Jan 6 03:31:14 CET 2011

hi :

I had an automated vcs commit email today that never came through.  When
another developer told me about it, and I looked into it I found it was
rejected : 5.7.1 disallowed character

I understand the postfix configuration in main.cf

message_reject_characters = \0

I read through the comments, and also kolab/issue3594.  It was suggested
originally to use message_strip_characters = \0, but was decided on reject
instead.

I am wondering if there is anything wrong with using strip, instead of reject
here?  If the null byte is removed, there should be no problems for cyrus
with it right?

I couldn't find any argument for reject over strip, other than it would not
changing the message content.  But what content would actually require those
null bytes?  Does anyone know of any reason to not just strip those out, and
let the messages through?

Andy