/var/lib/postfix owner/permission problem solved

Martin Campbell martin at placefarm.com
Sat Dec 17 22:12:15 CET 2011

I have been having problems with the owner and permssion on
/var/lib/postfix in openSUSE 11.4, but I have found a solution.

Something keeps changing the owner of /var/lib/postfix to postfix, but I
have a workaround. If I change both owner and group to kolab, and set
permission for both owner and group to read/write/execute, then kolab
carries on working, even if the owner changes. It causes warnings in
postfix.log, but they can be safely ignored.

chown kolab:kolab /var/lib/postfix
chown kolab:kolab /var/lib/postfix/*
chmod 770 /var/lib/postfix
chmod 600 /var/lib/postfix/*