Announcing the Kolab Server 2.3.0

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Fri Apr 15 18:43:06 CEST 2011

"For the plane in the fog, the mountain is unforeseeable, but then it is
suddenly very real, and inevitable."
                             Simon Forster, Minister for foreign relations [1]

And so is the release of the Kolab Server 2.3.0. It was a bumpy ride and I'd
apologize for the delays, but now we made it!

FEATURES

The new Kolab 2.3.0 server includes a lot of new features, namely:

- Z-push synchronization for mobile devices
- a reworked webadmin
- the possibility to have multiple accounts with the same name.
- modular packaging of the webclient
- many updated core components
- tons of bug fixes

A detailed list of changes is available at
http://files.kolab.org/server/release/kolab-server-2.3.0/sources/release-
notes.txt

UPGRADING

Because of the changes in LDAP, upgrading from 2.2.4 is not trivial and
requires manual intervention. Please make sure you read and follow the upgrade
instructions in
http://files.kolab.org/server/release/kolab-server-2.3.0/sources/1st.README

Documentation and OpenPKG packages are available from
http://files.kolab.org/server/release/kolab-server-2.3.0/
as shown on http://kolab.org/download.html.

DOWNLOADS

Binary packages for Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (Squeeze/stable) and 5.0
(Lenny/oldstable) on x86 platforms can be found next to the sources.

Support for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (etch/oldstable) was dropped because it is no
longer supported by Debian ether.

As soon as they have synced, you can also use the the mirrors listed on
http://kolab.org/mirrors.html

You can check the integrity of the downloaded files by importing our file
distribution key and verify the OpenPGP signature and SHA1 checksums:

$ wget https://ssl.intevation.de/Intevation-Distribution-Key.asc
$ gpg --import Intevation-Distribution-Key.asc
$ gpg --verify SHA1SUMS.sig
$ sha1sum -c SHA1SUMS

NOTICE

This release marks the end of a long development cycle. After over 2 years,
the master and the stable branch are (more or less) in sync again. We
introduced many new features and fixed a large number of bugs. We tested the
release intensively but due to the massive code changes, we might have missed
something or even introduced new bugs.

Before you use this release in a critical environment, we'd like you to test
it. Please report any problems you encounter in our bug tracker:
https://bugzilla.kolabsys.com/

Depending on the number and severity of bugs, we will issue an updated
release soon. We already have a number of fixes in the queue such as the
today's Z-push 1.5.2 release, so Kolab 2.3.1 will come soon.

CREDITS:

I'd like to thank a few people for their help, namely and in no particular
order:

- Paul and Georg, for giving me the chance to work on a great project like
Kolab
- Bernhard for his coordination
- Thomas and Sascha for their support, especially during this week
- Bogo for the awesome new look of the webadmin
- Jeroen for his input and providing me the infrastructure I need
- Gunnar for responding so fast to the issues we spotted

Without these people the Kolab Server 2.3 would not be possible. Thanks
everybody for your hard work!

Regards,
Christoph

[1] In the excellent movie "In the loop"

--
Christoph Wickert
Senior Engineer

Kolab Systems AG