Advice on seen status migration

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Tue Sep 21 23:55:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Robert Baldwin wrote:

> I am working on a script to migrate users from an standard Cyrus
> installation to a Kolab server installation.
> On the source IMAP server the users have simple usernames ie: testuser1
> whereas on the Kolab server these users are migrating to a full
> username, ie: testuser1 at example.net, due to this change I believe I
> cannot simply point the Kolab server at the old Cyrus spool folders.

Have you tried?  This is exactly what I did just recently and it worked
perfectly.  We were migrating kolab v1 to v2 but the usernames changed in
the same way.  You need to transfer the mail folders themselves into the
right locations on kolab as well as the .seen, .sub, quota info.  You
probably also need to do some translation on the cyrus.index file and the
mailboxes.db.

> My alternative is to copy each users Cyrus spool folder from the old
> location to the new Cyrus spool folder beneath the Kolab folder and
> perform a cyrus reconstruct, however that leaves seen/unseen status
> un-migrated.   Does anyone have any tools or pointers for migrating
> message seen/unseen status?

I did a reconstruct alright but as long as you take the .seen file over
with you, it should be okay.  We certainly kept all seen flags.

Gavin