Horde4 News: Horde4/Kolab road map

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Nov 8 14:31:08 CET 2010

Hi Gavin,

Quoting Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:

> Hi Gunnar,
>
> this is good news, thanks.  Is there a straightforward way for existing
> users of the stable Kolab release to install Horde4 alongside Horde3 as a
> test?

Not yet. The first packages you'll get from me will be available on
6.12.10 as indicated in the road map.

> I wouldn't be inclined to give it to lots of our users, but our IT
> staff might start using Horde4 in order to help with bug reports.

Looking forward to it :)

> Is Horde4 released now or is that release imminent?

Imminent but nothing yet.

Building Kolab Server packages is somewhat independent of the actual
Horde release. At least as long as we are in "alpha" stage.

It is just very important for me to get the Kolab part straightened
out early on. When I started with Horde development for Horde3 this
branch was already well underway and I had to respect backwards
compatibility. I learned from that (and of course other things) and
want some things to be different this time :)

Cheers,

Gunnar

> It's a little hard to tell from the Horde website.
>
> Thanks as always,
> Gavin
>
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>
>> The current version of the Kolab web client saw its first real release
>> on the Kolab Server in December 2007 and is based on Horde3. In 2008
>> p at rdus promised the switch to Horde4 for 2011.
>>
>> In the past months the Horde development team has steadily progressed
>> towards the first release of Horde4. With that being in sight now it
>> finally makes sense to provide a detailed roadmap for Horde4/Kolab.
>>
>> [06.12.10] Horde4 Portal                                          (alpha)
>> [13.12.10] Horde4 Mail                                            (alpha)
>> [20.12.10] Horde4 Mail on jQuery mobile (Android/iPhone/iPad)     (alpha)
>> [07.02.11] Horde4 Calendar                                        (alpha)
>> [14.02.11] Horde4 Calendar on jQuery mobile (Android/iPhone/iPad) (alpha)
>> [28.02.11] Horde4 Addressbook                                     (alpha)
>> [07.03.11] Horde4 Tasks                                           (alpha)
>> [14.03.11] Horde4 Notes                                           (alpha)
>> [28.03.11] Horde4/Kolab Beta                                      (beta)
>>
>> Both jQuery mobile (http://jquerymobile.com/) oriented projects are
>> financed by p at rdus (http://www.pardus.de). These will not be able to
>> compete with the full feature set of the default view but should be an
>> interesting draft of mobile apps based on the Horde applications.
>>
>> You are encouraged to measure the reliability p at rdus and the Horde
>> development team provide on the basis of this timeline.
>>
>> Blog entry: http://log.pardus.de/2010/11/horde4kolab-road-map.html

> --
> Gavin McCullagh
> Senior System Administrator
> IT Services
> Griffith College
> South Circular Road
> Dublin 8
> Ireland
> Tel: +353 1 4163365
> http://www.gcd.ie
> http://www.gcd.ie/brochure.pdf
> http://www.gcd.ie/opendays
>
> This E-mail is from Griffith College.
> The E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be
> privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
> to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee you are prohibited
> from disclosing its content, copying it or distributing it otherwise than to
> the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your
> computer.
>
> Bellerophon Ltd, trades as Griffith College (registered in Ireland No.
> 60469) with its registered address as Griffith College Campus, South
> Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg