Need opinions about whether I should convert mailboxes.db and annotations.db to skiplist

skipmorse at gmail.com skipmorse at gmail.com
Tue May 18 22:09:57 CEST 2010

Hey all,

I'm thinking about converting mailboxes.db and annotations.db to the
skiplist format, I've upgraded from version 2.1 Kolab to 2.2.3 and just set
it to use the berkley format since that's what they were in.

I'ma bit paranoid that I'll end up with a corrupted annotations.db and
there doesn't seem to be anything about how one might 'export' that as you
would the mailboxes.db to a text file for backup.

I've noticed that there are scripts that will check for corruption and also
backup those files in case there it at some point finds any. I haven't seen
anything like that for the berkley format. Also, in the upgrade notes, or
the release notes (somewhere) I'd read that the decision was made to move
back to skiplist because of problems with berkely, anyone know what those
problems were?

So, my question, am I being paranoid or is this a valid concern (I talked
to someone the other day on IRC that had it happen after having to
hard-power off the system). I do keep about 3 days of backups of the
system, but I've heard it can take longer than that to see the fallout from
the corruption.

Also, any tips for the conversion? I haven't looked into the process too
much, but on the wiki it discusses the converstion TO berkely from
skiplist, so I think it would likely be similar. But, when I did the
upgrade, I couldn't just copy over mailboxes.db and annotations.db, I
needed to copy the DB folder and the DB backup folders as well, anyone
foresee an issue there?

Thanks for any ideas/opinions...

PS Server has about 20 users, 3 group users for shared
calendar/contacts/folders and a handful of 'shared folders'...

-Skip