Kolab from individual components

Alexander Schröter webmaster at computational-chemistry.org
Tue Mar 16 23:53:06 CET 2010

Am 16.03.2010 22:33, schrieb Promani NV:
> Hello,
>
> I'm researching the possibility to use Kolab to replace
> an Exchange server (OK that's what everyone probably wants).
> On the client side I've tried Bynari with a regular IMAP
> server. I would also like to use Horde.
>
> However, I do have most of Kolab's components already running
> on another server and spend a lot of time configuring. It would
> be a shame to throw away all the tweaking work, so I'd like to
> know what 'added value' Kolab provides over the individual
> components and has anyone "cloned" Kolab on their own? Is
> this a doable thing (eg are LDAP schemes available and how
> would the free/busy be handled, etc).
>
> Regards,
> Joris

Hi I know what you mean and I have been thinking a lot about this.

I started out with a kolab installation with openpkg. But soon I ran
into problems regarding the openpkg packages and their lack of easy
installable/updateable packages that I want to use or try. So I did a
lot of fiddeling around till I finaly came to the conclusion that this
could not be the right way.

So my next step was the debian native package, which I think (of course
for your distribution) could be an option for you. I guess it would be
your job to merge your existing configuration with the one from the
package. But keep in mind that changing the configuration (even though
you think of it as tweaking) has its drawbacks and you might break the
system. Kolab is a real beast with lots of components which would also
get updated and this would then depends on your distribution.

I now reached a compromise where I am using the openpkg packages but
have a couple of them replaced with native packages. So far *knock on
wood* all works fine. And I have the advantage of the support through
the kolab community because I basicly use openpkg and can update kolab
like everybody else with each release but also the advantage of adding
components from standard debian packages as long as I am willing to work
on integrating them into the system.

I advise trying it out on a testsystem, and I mean both native and
openpkg. There are definitly parts which are easy to exchange but
keeping them work together is the challenge. To answer your question I
think it would be doable but in my opinion (of course everybody has to
decide for himself) not recommendet.

However, good luck.
Alexander