Advice needed on Kolab suitability

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Thu Jul 22 20:32:07 CEST 2010

I have been using  Ubuntu for 3 years on home computer network comprised of two
desktop computers (hard wired to LAN); two laptop computers (connected by wifi)
(There is also a NAS device used as a common file repository and a networked
printer.)

For most of the past three years I have been using Kontact on all the machines
and though I have looked at other PIM applications, I have always found Kontact
to be the best for my needs.  BUT I have never used any server to share email,
contacts and calendar.  I have started to install one or two but I have been
discouraged by all the problems that occur with having to install so many
applications to make them run.

I want to change to a network where I have a desktop computer running 24
hours/day that acts as a shared file repository for the rest of the computers.
It would be a combination work station and server.

I would like to have:
1. A single point of email collection and distribution to the other computers
2. A central calendar and contacts that can be called up by the other computers
and in the case of the laptops which are not always connected have the ability
to synchronize any changes that are made when they are away from the LAN.
3. The ability to synchronize contacts and calendar between the 'server" and an
iPAQ.

There is no requirement to connect to my LAN via the Internet.

I do not know a great deal about networking, and because I am slightly dyslexic,
terminal commands sometimes cause strife, so I rely on Graphic Interfaces as
much as possible.

Will these requirements be met by installing Kolab on the 24 hour workstation
and using it as a mail, calendar, and contact server to the other machines on
the LAN?

If the answer is "yes" please advise:
- Which source of Kolab is best for someone of limited networking knowledge?
- Which of the many sources of information, some of which appear contradictory,
would be the best set of instructions to follow in setting up Kolab?
- Is there a forum for beginner users of Kolab?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide, even if it is to tell me that Kolab
is too complex for an old man to tackle.

Mac