Next Suse Kolab version?

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Sat Jul 3 18:08:28 CEST 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 01:48:20 pm Richard Bos wrote:
> Hello Carsten,
>
> Op donderdag 01 juli 2010 16:36:17 schreef Carsten Burghardt:
> > I have seen that Kolab 2.2.4 has just been released but the packages
> > in the repository from Suse are still from February. Am I missing
> > something?
>
> You're not missing something.  Over the last months I've come to conclusion to
> I'm no longer able to build and maintain the packages that make up Kolab.  It
> is too much work and my current activities no longer allow me to spent so much
> time on Kolab.  Perhaps someone else can pick up where I left, it is in the
> build server, so it is easy to take over the project.  I'll continue to follow
> the emaillist and as such I'm around for questions.
>
> Hopefully, Kolab will be packaged in future with the build service, so it is
> available for many distributions including hopefully openSUSE.
>
> Sorry for the disappointing message.

Well, since the  Kolab folks will be moving to a build service and away from the OpenPkg it should simplify the packaging for all the distributions.
I still need to be convinced that the packages will work well on all the distributions when built on one of the build services. I think of this as getting the packages as close as possible, but I still believe it would be best to convince some maintainers from the distributions the package them natively. But I am open to be convinced otherwise.

--
Thomas