64-bit kolab?

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Wed Jan 20 15:31:22 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Franz Skale wrote:

> Why not recompiling from source ?

Ideally, I'd like to

1. Keep maintenance as simple as possible (I may not always be the
   maintainer).  Security patches involving download, compile and install
   is not the simplest route.
2. Keep as closely as possible to the kolab user norms so that if I or
   someone else ask the mailing list for help down the road, the problems
   I'm seeing are most likely something someone else has seen.

If there's a real advantage to running 64-bit, I can do it but if not, I'm
inclined to stick to the packages.  I'm guessing individual kolab processes
shouldn't need very large memory and there's unlikely to be much need for
very high precision floating point calculations.  There might be some other
benefit though.

> Read this file:
> http://files.kolab.org/server/release/kolab-server-2.2.3/sources/1st.README
> I use 64bit Packages since version 2.2.1 without any troubles. (Only on
> source files, but that's quite a long time ago).
> Should build flawless on lenny.

Do I gather then that you switched from 32-bit to 64-bit?  Was that much
trouble?  If 64-bit packages became available later and people were using
them, I'd be inclined to move to them.

Gavin