Creating users resource folders without Kontact - is it possible?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Jan 8 16:37:58 CET 2010

Quoting YANQ IT Support <tech at yanq.org.au>:

> Hi There,
>
> A little while ago I asked if it was possible to create users resource
> folders (esp for contacts and calendars) without using Kontact.
>
> This is for a server (running Debian squeeze) which I have inherited.
> I've discovered that the kolab server was originally installed using the
> 'native' debian packages (i.e. apt-get, not openpkg). This is why the
> web-client isn't creating the folders for me - it's just a normal
> installation of horde, not the one that comes with kolab (openpkg version).
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone had any experience installing the OpenPkg version Kolab
> over the top of the experimental Debian packages? It seems like it might
> be a very tricky exercise and I'm not sure I have the time, resources or
> enough knowledge about kolab to try it.

I don't have any experience with such a migration but I believe it
should not be too hard.

Assuming you have a backup of the data in your native Kolab
installation - which you definitely *should* have :) - you could just
install an OpenPKG variant on a second server and import the data.
Instructions for that can be found here:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Backups_for_kolab2

Cheers,

Gunnar