debian or ubuntu, packaged or openpackaged

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Wed Jan 6 15:44:22 CET 2010

Hi,

we're migrating an old kolab install and planning the new platform to run
it on.

 - We generally use Ubuntu LTS on all of our servers but do have a couple
   of Debian servers too.
 - We generally like to use Debian packages wherever possible for
   ease of management, patching and upgrade.

I've been trying out the native packaging for debian lenny.  It seems to
mostly work but while I like the idea of it, I'm not sure it's in wide
enough use yet for us to go with it compared to the openpackage route.
This is for a fairly large number of users so I'd rather not take chances.

If we're using debian packages, I'll go with debian rather than ubuntu.  If
we were to use openpackage, is one preferred over the other?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Gavin