Status enterprise4 in comparison to KDE4.3/Kubuntu

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Wed Feb 10 09:27:27 CET 2010

Hi all,

maybe this would better be sent to the devel list, but I'll try here first.
We're currently busy with the first preparations of a possible migration from
Kubuntu 8.04 to 10.04. One of the major change is of course the KDE3.5 ->
KDE4 step and the possible impact of this step on (Kolab-)Kontact.

For Kubuntu 8.04/KDE3.5, we've always built our own Kontact packages, based on
the "unstable" Debian releases provided by the Kolab team. For that pairing,
following the Kolab branch provided clear advantages over the standard
Kubuntu 8.04/KDE3.5 version with regard to both bugfixes and features.

With the newer Kubuntu, I'm not so sure - if I take Kubuntu 9.10 as the
current example, KDE is on 4.3.2. If I look at the enterprise4 snapshots I
found on http://files.kolab.org/, they all claim to be KDE4.2.2. Hence, I'm
not so certain whether following the Kolab version will have the same
benefits as it has for KDE3.5 - is enterprise4 on par with/ahead of KDE4.3?
Is there anything else I need to take into account (bugfixes specific to
Kolab are of course important to us)?

I've read https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/KDE_Kolab_Client, but that didn't
quite help me on this (or I am missing something).

If anyone could provide some insight on this, I'd be quite grateful.

Cheerio,

Thomas