looking around for synchronization tools

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 6 21:39:53 CET 2010

On Monday 06 December 2010 19.27:51 Lucio Crusca wrote:
> Thanks for the kind replies, but I'm afraid now my confusion is even
> worse...  I've read the zpush page on the wiki, and... why should I use a
> Microsoft protocol even if I have nothing that comes from MS? Isn't SyncML
> enough to sync contacts and calendar? What's the drawback with SyncML?

SyncML is supported less and less every day by modern phones, even its former
champion Nokia seems to be dropping it slowly, it is more prone to issues of
lost data or duplication, and ultimately requires a perfect matrix of defects
for all phones, as each phone has different limitations which the server cannot
automatically ascertain from the phone.

Hence the wide range of results for people using it. It is very much YMMV.

ActiveSync tends to work a lot better in practice, and with Kolab allows full
control over which address book, calendar or email folder to push to which
device, whether to push with or without alarms, and all that.

> A doubt... is kolab actually for me?

That depends: What do you have in mind?

Best regards,
Georg