looking around for synchronization tools

Alain Abbas alain.abbas at libertech.fr
Mon Dec 6 17:20:24 CET 2010

Le 06/12/2010 15:29, Rémi Peltier a écrit :
> hi,
> let me give you my feedback about z-push.
> I tried it with kolab 2.2.4 (OpenPKG version), z-push1.4 / backend 0.62:
> it works quite well with contact and calendar with an iphone. The Ldap
> gal works but you have to search with email (no results with name or
> firstname). if your calendar sync breaks you have to "restore" iPhone
> or need a jailbroken phone, what i do not consider enterprise-class ready.
I ve got arround 300 iphones synced and didn t have this case . None of
all the releases need a jailbroken phone or need to jailbreak
the iphone to run again. I never heard that someone must jailbreak his
iphone to run again.
About the Gal the search is made on the CN or the MAIL.

> And concerning mails it worked at the beginning of my tests, then
> performance decreased a lot to finally not working at all.
> On a nokia E65,sync with "Mail For Exchange" works for contacts,
> calendar and mails have issues (i've several INBOX folders on the phone)
Nokia didnt work well due to bugs in Mfe (especialy the 3.0) and works
now with version 0.7.2.
There were a performance issue with releases prior to 0.7 when the push
was set on the mobile (push in activeSync is  like a ping each
5 secondes) but the performances are really well now in 0.7.2.

I m curently testing android with a P500 LG and i synchronize since now
more one week all (calendar (780 entries),Contacts(220
entries,mails(6780 mails in inbox) and in parallel i continue to
synchronize my iphone without problems too (who has been nerver
jaibroken and i started this developpment with the iphone as test mobile).
> Syncing a Windows mobile (6.5) is quasi-impossible if you have a
> self-singed certificate.
False , this problem is for release 5.0 , and now in Seven but not in
the windows release 6.5 .  I think you didnt read the Wiki

> In my tests, after an ugrade to 0.72 (z-push 1.5 beta2) nothing no
> longer works (for instance ldap gal search returns NO NAME).

Just tested and i confirm this point will be corrected soon.

You didn t read the wiki i think , wrote in the wiki
> i apologise to the community for this real bad feedback, i'm not a
> noob  sysadmin but i have weak competences in web programming. i
> haven't found enough documentation to make it work and it's a pity.
The documentation is in the Wiki.
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Z_push

Why you didnt post questions before  to help us and for that we help you ?
  i always respond quickly at all the posts .

> it's hard to understand how it really works, how to reinitialize a
> sync. Is it a cache problem? where is the cache (z-push cache, kolab
> driver cache??)
> Regards.

Alain Abbas

Regards