Email catch-all user/account: Wiki entry

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Thu Aug 19 21:35:52 CEST 2010

Zitat von Alexander Schröter <webmaster at computational-chemistry.org>:

>> Hallo,
>>
>> messing aroung with catchall email today I thought it would be a nice
>> idea to have a wiki entry for that. So I made one:
>> wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Email_catch-all_account
>
> Thank you for adding the entry, I haven't really done it yet so I
> can't proof-
> read the technical aspekt but I think it would be nice if you could add a
> couple of lines what this is supposed to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-all does only indicate it helps
avoiding loss of mails in case the sender mistype the recipient mail
address. But that sounds like something you could only do in the
golden age of e-mail when there was virtually no spam. Which of course
is hinted at by the second section which allows to throw away all the
spam.

I googled for a few seconds to understand this approach but I admit I
don't. Seems to be a waste of CPU cycles. So yes, I'd also like to
understand what this might be useful for.

Cheers,

Gunnar

>> It is surely quite incomplete, and I was in a bit of a hurry, so the
>> language is not quite sufficient. It would be nice if someone would
>> proof-read it.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Christian
>
> Thanks