What about starting to use project-builder for native packages?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Thu Apr 15 10:52:21 CEST 2010

Op donderdag 15 april 2010 04:42:21 schreef Thomas Spuhler:
> I agree with some of the concerns Gunnar has. The packages built on the
>  OpenSuse BS will not work on other distros. But I think if they build and
>  work on OpenbSuse or Debian or etc. they would build and work on other
>  distros with much less work and effort to put in than the current openpkg
>  versions. It would more encourge packagers of other distros to build and
>  provide native version on their distros.

Short reply on Thomas' remark, I'll reply on Gunnar's email later:
- the packages build on the openSUSE build server are, native Fedora,
Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian packages!   They are -->not<-- openSUSE specific.

Takes this repository as an example:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rbos:/ib/

One spec file (for rpm based distributions) results in packages for many
different distributions and architectures.  This is done by loading an image
with e.g. Mandriva and perform the build the build of the spec file in that
image.  Really wonderful

--
Richard