stable outlook connector ?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Apr 14 17:58:48 CEST 2010

Hi Micha,

Quoting Micha Kersloot <micha at kovoks.nl>:

> Hi Doug,
>
>> Hello Thomas,
>> I saw your post in this forum today and wanted to respond to you
>> personally.  Before responding to you, I wanted to verify your issue with
>> my support and QA departments.
>
> I do want to make clear to the list that your support department is very good
> and helpful! But our problems seem to exists with different kolab
> implementations and it really seems a kolab design problem in my humble
> opinion.

I would have to disagree here :) It is of course not trivial to use
IMAP as a storage backend for your Groupware data. But Kontact
provides a very stable implementation for quite some time now and is
being used in really large setups. So it is definitely possible to
provide very stable Kolab clients.

The different implementations vary in regard to their quality of
course. You mentioned the Thunderbird plugin. The last time I used it
there was no caching of the IMAP data and this can be extremely
problematic once your accounts get larger and you have more users.

The core design element - using IMAP as data storage - is something I
still consider to be great. The user is in full control of his data.
In these days this is something that seems to be of more and more
value to me.

Cheers,

Gunnar