Outlook vs Kontact iCalender TZID interpretation

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Sep 10 12:43:22 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 26. August 2009 09:17:24 schrieb Albrecht Dreß:
> I have a question about the interpretation of the time information in
> vcalendar appointment invitations.  I created an invitation with Kontact
> coming with Ubuntu Jaunty (Kontact 1.4.2, Korganiser 4.2.2), containing
>
> <snip>
> DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20090826T150000
> DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20090826T153000
> </snip>
>
> I didn't look into the RFC yet,

You probably should for a good interpretation, at least that would be my next
step if I had this as a support case on my desk. :)

> but at least Horde (coming with kolab
> 2.2.0) as well as (of course) Kontact interpret this correctly as
> "1500..1530 local time" (CEST).  However, the Outlook clients (OL 2003 and
> 2007) using the Toltec connector v. 2.3.1 interpret this as either
> "1600..1630 local time" *or* as "1700..1730 local time".  Needless to say
> that this created some confusion...

> Can anyone tell me who is to blame for this behaviour - the Kolab server,
> Kontact, Toltec, or even Outlook?  Any idea how I can fix this?

Toltec has nothing to do with the invitation processing, so this component is
out of the question. Also the Kolab Server just transports the email message
and does not fiddle with  the contents of iCalender attachments.

This leaves Kontact, Outlook or the Kolab Webclient as possible culprits.
My enterprise35 does not add the timezone information, which seems to be good
to avoid the issue. My enterprise4 client does, though. Anyway, if this is an
interoperability issue we might need to change Kontact even if it is the
Outlook side that is wrong.

I think we should create an issue for this.

Best,
Bernhard