Creating users resource folders without Kontact - is it possible?

David Powell tech at yanq.org.au
Wed Sep 9 01:45:53 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and to kolab, so I'm probably starting off badly by
asking a question that's been answered here before - but here goes...

Is it possible to create the various resource folders (Calendar,
Contacts, Journal etc) for users, without using Kontact?

I've tried via both t'bird and imp (horde) but the folders don't work
because the required annotations are missing. Adding a new event to a
user's default calendar in horde returns a "No, Mailbox does not exist"
error - whether or not the Calendar folder (created via t'bird or horde)
exists or not.

Most of my users only have access to thunderbird/lightning with the
syncKolab plugin and horde (3.3.4) with kronolith (2.3.1), which is why
using kontact isn't possible (unless I manually do it myself for every
user - which isn't really a viable option).

After a bit of googling on the wiki and the mailing list archives I've
found a couple of relevant messages on this topic:

- one (see http://is.gd/3390O from 2005) implies that the only way to
create the special imap folders for calendars and so on is via kontact.
- the other (from 2006 see http://is.gd/3395k) is a perl script, that
adds new users and sets up the folders at the same time. But my users
have already been set up (and I don't have the perl skills to figure out
how to tweak the script for existing users).

Are there other strategies that have been developed since then that I
missed?

Cheers,

David

--
David Powell
Youth Affairs Network of Queensland

NOTICE:This communication and all attachments contains information which is confidential and the copyright of Youth Affairs Network Qld (YANQ)or a third party. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please delete and destroy all copies and telephone/email (details above) YANQ. If you are the intended recipient of this communication you should not copy, disclose or distribute this communication without the authority of YANQ. Any views expressed in this communication are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of YANQ.  Except as required at law, YANQ does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.