Bynari's Kolab Connector in release candidate

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Mon Nov 9 17:15:45 CET 2009

Am Montag 09 November 2009 15:19:00 schrieb Hyun Kim:
> Kolab users,
>
> Many of you have inquired about the Connector status for the Kolab Server. The release candidate version is now available.   Please read the release notes below for all the details.
>
> We would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.  You can contact us with any issues and questions:  icbeta at bynari.net.

We are currently using the Toltec connector and are quite unhappy with it.  Thus I gave your product a try, following this message on the Kolab user's list.  Here are some observations/questions, testing on a virtual machine (Sun Virtualbox) running Windows XP and Outlook 2007:

- The installation requires admin privileges, and asks for creating a profile.  This is an untypical situation; usually the admin user will have no mail account, but the (unprivileged) users do.  IMHO it would be better to remove the profile stuff from the wizard and explain in the docs how to perfrom it for a user account.

- The configuration options are somewhat confusing and well not documented.  I want a setup where everything is held on the Kolab server, but with a full copy, including all accessible shared folders, of everything for offline work on the box running outlook (in a pst file?).  When the user re-connects, new messages should be synchronised from the server, and everything erased locally in offline mode should also be erased on the server (see [1] for a Toltec bug regarding the synchronisation).  Please provide a configuration guide for this and other standard scenarios.

- Shared calendars are not recognised and still shown under "Mail" (cyradm reports that it has type "folder-type: event.default").  Same problem with shared contacts.

- Folder permissions for shared folders are not shown.

- Renaming the folder from "...Insight..." to "Kolab" is shown only after restarting Outlook.

- Some kind of feedback would be nice, indicating the progress of sync operations for huge folders (progress bar, whatever).  Maybe I was to dumb to find the config option for that, though...

Best regards,
Albrecht.

[1] <https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue3346>

--