Status of Kolab - possible production usage?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Sun May 31 22:14:37 CEST 2009

Hello Hermann,

Op zondag 31 mei 2009 16:29:51 schreef Hermann Himmelbauer:
> Next I tried syncing my SonyEricsson K750i with Horde, which also failed
> due to some unknown reason - I tried that before with funambol, which did
> work, but there seems to be no interface between Kolab/Horde <-> funambol.

Syncing is still in its infancy.  Syncing was provided for the 1st with
kolab-2.2.2.  So, there are probably still problems, and if you look back at
the email list of may (2009), you'll see that there indeed are some problems.

> After that many struggles, I'm asking myself if Kolab is ready for
> production use or if I should give it some time to stabilize and switch to
> something else in the meantime.

Kolab is definately ready for production use.  It is used in production.  I
have no numbers about how many sites, but I think it is quite a lot.

> What are your experiences? Perhaps I had bad luck? Am I better off with the
> latest KDE release instead of 3.5.9?

You had definitely bad luck.  Many people are happily using kolab.  Give it
another try.  For production use you might want to use the enterprise version
of kontact as described here http://www.kolab.org/about-kolab-clients.html

--
Richard