Sync Kolab with Thunderbird

RonaldvE ronald at kovoks.nl
Tue May 26 12:19:59 CEST 2009

Tim Golz <kolab <at> izsr.de> writes:

> Hi, folx,
>
> been an administrator now for nearly 10 years with some experience in
> Linux, Mac and Windows, I must admit that I dunno understand nothing
> when I try to sync thunderbirdclients to Kolab.
>
> I have just installed Kolab 2.2.0 from Sources on a Debian Etch-box,
> works fine as far as i can see: i can administer the Kolab
> webinterface, create users, external adresses, I can connect from
> varios mailclients to the Kolabimapserver, sending and receiving
> mails, adresses get completed from the kolab-lda-adressbook, I can do
> an ldapsearch from a client to kolab - no probs.
>
> but i am to stupid to get Thunderbird Adressbook, Calendar and Tasks
> working with Kolab. I tried different setups now with the SyncKolab-
> Plugin and Lightning, I created Folders in Kolab and on the
> Thunderbird-client, I googled for hours - no chance. the HowTos on the
> Kolabsite (i.e. the Kolabwiki) explains nothing (to me), nor does the
> Synckolab-site.
>
> Is there a Step-by-Step-HowTo for Fools like me (who are able to
> administer two dozens of mal-, samba- and ldapservers and writing
> bashscripts and so on, but to stupid to understand the teamwork of
> Kolab and Thunderbird/SyncKolab)?
>
> Thanx a lot in advance ...

Per user, make extra imap or mailbox directories where contacts, tasks, and
agenda can reside.
now in the connector settings, choose these directories for corresponding names,
so agenda in agenda etc, now after you sync the contacts must also stay in these
earlier made directories. If you use the webmail, now these contacts, agenda etc
are there too.

it's not hard, if you know ;)

good luck Tim.