Q: Using a stock OpenLDAP install as replica?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Thu Mar 19 12:34:29 CET 2009

Hi all,

I have a dumb question whether it is possible to use a "stock" OpenLDAP
installation as replica for the Kolab OpenLDAP data base.  The
background:  Running Kolab on a 64-bit box, I am hit by issue #2982,
which in turn makes (as I also use OpenLDAP for Linux/Samba Logins and
for DHCP) my whole installation inoperative.

My idea is to have an other box which "only" runs OpenLDAP (of course
with the correct schema files) and holds a copy of the LDAP data (but
nothing else).  All involved instances (DHCP, Samba, maybe also Kolab)
would get this installation as secondary servers which are used as
fallback in case the primary fails.  The secondary box could be an old
(32-bit ;-) box as it wouldn't see much traffic in the normal case.

Any idea if this would be feasible?  Any pointer/howto?

TIA, Albrecht.